FAN FRIDAY FEATURED BUILD BY HIROKI LUCKLAND
Happy Friday everyone, on this the happiest days of the week, we present Hiroki and his outstanding scale build, we are humbled by his first, yes his first attempt at scale building. This build is spectacular so we know whatever Hiroki sets his sights on next will be out of this world…. Enjoy!
This is my 1980 Ford F-150 Ranger. I started building this truck with the body of a Tamiya Blackfoot, which is I believe still available everywhere. It was originally sold as precisely Ford F-150 early 80s with the same chassis as that of Sand Scorcher and Buggy Champ. Tamiya just used the same body shell for the Blackfoot. Unfortunately, the current re-released model not only omitted the Ford Ranger logos but also changed the shape of the grill. So, I first made the same grill as the original by using styrene strips. This is precisely the point I am most proud of (but at the same time I would like to try again someday because, I know how to make it now). After making the bed, I chose to paint the body with orange because I wanted to try weathering techniques and orange was the best color for weathering to be most effective (even though it is not the ideal color for a Ford truck). It was my first attempt at weathering, but I am totally satisfied with the result. I will add some rust in near future. The interior is full scratch made from styrene. I collected pictures from Google and Pinterest and used them as a reference.
About the chassis I used STRC’s short frame for SCX10, and moved the gearbox and the motor to the front by using GCM’s motor plate and transfer case. Without these, I could not have secured enough room for the interior. The suspensions are 3 link with the panhard bar for the front and 4 link for the rear, but I needed Dinky RC’s cantilever for the rear because with the rear bed there was no space for the SCX10’s shock mount.
The axles are both RC Channels’ narrow axles for Tamiya high-lift. This is the narrowest axle that I knew of at that time (unless I use MRC or modify longer axles by myself) because the Blackfoot body is very small and its width is just around 170mm. The diff cover is a bit chubby but so far they work great.
“This is my first serious attempt at a “scale RC.” Of course I am happy with the outcome, but what I enjoyed most is the learning process of scale building.”
Are hats are off and we are completely stunned by the amazing work he has done we are now dedicated fans!!!